Friday, October 12, 2007

Movin' On Up!

In a couple of hours I'll be packing up the truck and heading back up to the Bolt Hole for some more hunting. Having a spike-horned buck deboned and in the freezer takes some of the pressure off for putting up meat but there are still a pair of larger bucks roaming around the Adirondack woods that I wouldn't mind putting my tag on (or helping Mark put his tag on).

Tomorrow starts New York's one week muzzle loader season and the regular rifle season starts immediately after that. Last year we had the unfortunate excitement of a lost hunter who was found dead in the woods on the first day of muzzle loader and a near repeat on opening day of rifle. Here's hoping that no one wanders so far or without a compass or map that they get lost. I know I don't go into the woods without either and usually have a GPS unit and extra batteries in my pack.

The trip back to the Adirondacks also means I'll be going back to the land of dial-up service instead of high-speed. Oh well.

The temperatures have plummeted both here at the Aerie and up at the Bolt Hole. With a steady drizzle punctuated by heavier rains, yesterday's high temperature was only in the mid 40s as opposed to the low 80s we had Monday and Tuesday. Terry and I finally decided to put the heat on when the temperature indoors dropped to around 60. So now the thermostats are set to 64 degrees and it's quite comfortable.

Up at the Bolt Hole there may actually be some light snow later this weekend. Night time lows have been in the mid 30s so it looks like I'll be using some of the firewood we cut and stacked this summer.

Well, it's time to pack up and get a move on. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

JDP said...

Good luck, hope you hang your tag on one of those wallhangers.

JDP