Sunday, March 09, 2008

Bridhouses

I spent a couple of hours during a snowstorm earlier this week building some birdhouses. The pattern says they are a general purpose birdhouse that will attract chickadees, nuthatches, finches, wrens, and several other small bird species. These took about two hours to build from ripping the boards to width, cutting them to length, drilling the entry and vent holes, and, finally nailing everything together.

Three birdhouses ready for oil
A coat of linseed oil on the outside of these generic houses and they will be ready to hang outside.

I’m already planning to build a few more with two slight variations. Instead of having the side pivot open for cleaning and having a flat roof, I want to build a couple that will allow the front to swing open and that will have a slanted roof. I’ve seen some models where the front can be turned upside down for the winter and several perches put inside so little birds will have a place to gather to keep warm on cold winter’s nights.

3 comments:

GUYK said...

looks like some good blue bird houses

Anonymous said...

Nice houses! We know you have plenty of birds there that will appreciate them. :-)

Have you tried a Peterson bluebird house, yet? I did my first one a few months back and it's a challenge.

Here's the result.

joated said...

I've never built one of the Peterson houses. Never had an open enough field near any water that I heard bluebirds prefer. I may have to try a couple for the area around the Bolt Hole and for the open area nestled back in the woods at the Aerie.

I tried a slight modification on the ones pictured here. The roof tilts forward to shed water and the front pivots out for cleaning. But I made them a bit short. I hope the birds find them deep enough to suit them.