Tuesday, July 14, 2009

35 43?! On July 14th!

A mere 35 degrees on one of my two bi-metal analog thermometers at the Bolt Hole this morning at 6:45 AM. (The other read 39 but is just outside the sliding glass door to the bedroom that was cracked open a couple of inches so may have been warmed by my body heat.) Awfully cold for a July 14th. Not a breath of air outside either after yesterday's strong breeze. A weather underground station on a farm several miles to the west recorded a low of 43 degrees at 6:30 AM but it's also about 300 feet lower in elevation and the station picked up the sunlight just prior to that reading.

Brrrr.

Might have to jog along as I push the mower today just to warm up.

UPDATE: I had to run some errands in the Tundra this afternoon (more about those in the next post) and it has a digital thermometer that is pretty accurate. I checked it against the bi-metal thermometers attached to the cabin and found they were 8 degrees lower. I've since fixed them but that means the low temperature this morning was closer to 43 degrees than 35. My bad! Still, that's bloody chilly for the 14th of July.

2 comments:

GUYK said...

yep..that's a cold day in July

Rev. Paul said...

If you persist in having those Alaskan temps there, you'll feel right at home up here, next year. Think of it as acclimatization ...