Saturday, July 11, 2009

Adieu, adieu.

Before heading out to the labs on Friday morning, I checked the robins' nest on the corner of the Aerie. Sure enough, the last two young had left home either late Thursday or very early Friday. I gathered up the nest and placed it in a plastic bag for the garbage. If a third brood is to be raised, a new nest (the third this year) will have to be built. So far eight baby robins have left that corner of the Aerie this summer. With luck they haven't fallen prey to the four cats that wander around my yard. (Not my cats. I don't see any collars but I can't bring myself to do more than throw a stone or two at them.)

1 comment:

GUYK said...

my bluebirds have flown the coop also but I still have some peckerwoods on the nest as well as some cardinals and a couple of pair of some type of tweetybirds I have never seen..can't find them in the book but look like some kinda finch..but this is out of their summer range