Friday, August 19, 2011

Aerie Report, Morning, August 19, 2011

Terry and I made the run up to the Bolt Hole yesterday to retrieve the Tundra, trailer and ATV. The weather was perfect for a round trip of some 450 miles. (Took us 10 hours including stops and time to do our thing at the Bolt Hole.)

We found that Mark had already hitched the trailer to the truck which made our job a whole lot easier. I don't know if he did so as a means of protecting the trailer from possible mischief or in preparation for our arrival but in either case, it was much appreciated. All I had to do was load the ATV on the trailer and we were good. Mark had also cut all the grass in the front yard--again--which makes the place look lived in to the casual observer.

While we were there we also picked up the forgotten eggs and 20 or so cans of beer that were inadvertently left behind as well as a few other items that needed to come south.

Terry did the driving north and we reconfirmed the fact that I am a terrible passenger (at least when she's the driver). She says she's learned over the years to curb her criticism of my driving but I'm much to vocal and demonstrative when I'm in the passenger seat. Moi?

I find that when I'm rested (as I was going up to the Bolt Hole) I'm much worse than if I'm tired (like after driving for many hours). I am a horrible passenger when I'd rather be behind the wheel.

Oh well, at least my knee behaved reasonably well.

******

In other news, today, August 19th, is our 39th anniversary. Seems like only yesterday....

******

I've a 1:30 appointment with the physical therapists today. Hopefully, a little messaging and supervised exercises will get it right. If not, there's the orthopedist next week.

Two weeks after the twisting of my right knee it still pains me when I walk--especially if stairs or uneven surfaces are involved. The left knee is starting to complain too as it has to do much of the difficult stuff like taking the lead going up and down steps. Flat surfaces aren't too bad and I can manage without even using a cane. On rare occasions I can almost (almost!) forget that there is something wrong. On steps and uneven surfaces like the lawn or gravel driveway...not so much. I constantly have to remind myself that the good leg goes UP first while the bad leg goes DOWN first--with the cane. And, for crying out loud, ONE STEP AT A TIME.

******

My physical labor (firewood, cutting grass, climbing ladders, painting the roof, etc.) prior to the incident had helped to bring my weight down to around 220 and had me feeling in pretty good shape too, but the inactivity of the last two weeks hasn't helped at all. I'm afraid to get on the scale as it might shout, "One at a time!" at me. And that notch on the belt I had gained? Forget about it.

******

Speaking of cutting grass...The Aerie needs it badly. The last cut was nearly three weeks ago. I'll probably have to give it a try this weekend. Good thing there's now plenty of beer, Jack and pain killers available. The trick will be to determine which to use. I certainly would not want to mix 'em.

2 comments:

TenMile said...

" . . forgotten eggs and 20 or so cans of beer . ."

Thoroughly modern we are. Painkillers in pill form only.

Glad to read you're fighting back and are mobile.

Rev. Paul said...

Happy anniversary!