Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Signs of the times. It's all natural.

Having hitched up the utility trailer, loaded the ATV aboard, and packed my gear for another work-cation at the Bolt Hole, I was about ready to get in the Tundra when I looked down the Aerie's driveway to the road. There loped a good size black bear heading down the hill. Every so often it would stop and look up the hill and soon I saw why. The first bear was followed by an even larger bear which strode with a purpose in pursuit.

It didn't take me long to figure out what was going on. The first bear, perhaps 200-250 pounds must have been a female. The second, which I estimate at being 350 pounds or more, was a male. It's the mating season and he strutted down that hill with his nose waving in the air as he scented that female. She played coy, however, and was leading him on a merry chase. Alas, they moved on before I could get the camera out of its bag and snap a shot of their "courtship."

As I drove out and down the road, I saw them behind the building of the hunting camp adjacent to the Aerie's property. She hadn't given in--yet, but I sensed it was just a matter of time and finding a more private locale.

2 comments:

Home on the Range said...

Outdoors is always a good day. Enjoy!

Rev. Paul said...

Need to get you one of those bears - really good in stew or chili. Yum!