Friday, August 05, 2011

Uh-oh!

Damn! This is NOT good!

So I decided the roof wasn't going to get painted by itself and hobbling knee or not, I would have to get up there to get 'er done. Started making preparations by getting into my painting clothes. (The pants can stand my themselves! Now if they would only come when called.) Went out and moved the ladders. Talked to Terry on the phone. Mixed up the paint. Poured a gallon or so into the "roof" bucket. And started to walk toward the ladder.

*PING* went something in the back of my right knee and suddenly I can't put ANY weight on my right leg without a great deal of pain. Straight leg, bent leg...it doesn't matter it will not bear any weight.

I leaned against the bucket, the house, the porch and s-l-o-w-l-y made my way up the two steps into the house. Packed everything away, struggled out of my painting clothes and here I sit contemplating my navel and another trip down to St. Luke's Hospital in Utica.

Been there. Done that. Two years ago on the left knee. Same sort of action after slipping on a wet rock during the last day of muzzle loader season. The diagnosis after an MRI was a severe strain. Rest and rehab. And pain killers.

This time it seems worse. Then I managed to get back out of the woods using the smoke pole as a crutch. This time I'm damn near crawling.

Funny, the left knee suddenly feels fine.

In '09 I needed to get Terry up here to help get all my hunting gear packed. Now I've got ladders on the roof and a trailer with an ATV. (Firewood's still in the woods and likely to stay there for some time.)

I'm going to just sit here feeling sorry for myself for awhile, if you don't mind. As soon as I get in touch with Terry (Curves) I'll make up my mind about what to do.


UPDATE: Terry is on her way. Then it will probably be a trip to the hospital's emergency room. Fun times!

4 comments:

TenMile said...

Good Luck with it, sir.

Rev. Paul said...

Good luck, my friend. I'll pray, if you don't mind.

joated said...

TenMile: Thanks.

Rev. Paul: Any and all help is appreaciated. Logistics are going to be a problem, though.

threecollie said...

So sorry to read this. Hope they can fix you up without too much fuss. You take care!