Thursday, August 04, 2011

More progress on the roof painting.

I had to wait on the weather a bit this morning. The rain took its sweet time clearing out over night and things were pretty wet on the roof at 8 AM. It wasn't until 10 AM that the roof over the south side of the kitchen and the covered porch was dry enough for me to go up there and slather on a coat of aluminum.

Naturally, my knees started complaining immediately. I expected it from my left (that's the one I twisted two years ago while out in the woods hunting), but the right one was the loudest--and sorest--of the two. Still, I soldiered on knowing that I've got a reduced window of opportunity now that the forecast has changed for Saturday and Sunday.

BEFORE: South kitchen and porch roof.

AFTER: South kitchen and porch roof.

Three hours of up and down, down and up on the ladders and I had finished the kitchen and porch roof. I took an extended break for lunch and hoped my knees would forgive me enough to let me get a good chink of the living room roof done this afternoon.

BEFORE: East living room roof.

They didn't. I managed to get about 1/3 of the east side of the living room roof done in two and a half hours before I finally had to call it quits. This roof is a bit of a challenge to start with as the ground slopes from the main body of the house to the southern end of the living room on the left. The drop is only a couple of feet, but it's fairly steady meaning the climbing ladder's one leg is firmly planted on the ground while the other needs to be propped up two to four inches. I've got some 2 x 6 boards for that purpose but it's just one more thing that makes me nervous on the ladder. And with bum knees, it's bad enough.

PARTIALLY DONE: East living room roof.

Still to do: East living room roof.
(Plus, the west side of the living room roof (not shown) needs doin'.)


Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go get another Yuengling Lager and put some dinner in the microwave. Then it's an extra dose of pain killers and off to bed.

5 comments:

Shelley said...

Be careful on that ladder! You definitely deserve a lager for all that hard roof work!

Rev. Paul said...

You have my respect, for whatever it's worth, for the labor-intensive painting. I pray your knees are better tomorrow.

trump said...

Those metal roofs will last almost forever. Richard from Amish Stories.

joated said...

You're right, Richard. What looked like flaking metal on the oldes roof--that over the kitchen--turened out to be the previous coat of paint done many, many years ago. The metal, even with it's coat of rust, seemed as sound as ever.

Noreen Mayweather said...

After the painting process, the roof looks nothing like the one in the before picture. In fact, it looks brand new! Heeh, now that's the magic of paint! It adds value to your home when you paint any part of it, but that’s especially true for the roof. I hope your knees are all good now! :)