Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Late morning Aerie Report, August 16, 2011

Hoo boy! Did we get more rain last night! From about 10 PM until 6 AM it poured. I've not checked the rain gauge yet but there had to be an inch or more of rain. We may still get more during the day today, too. [Heh? Only 0.68 inches in the gauge. Sure seemed like more fell.]

******

After dinner yesterday, Terry went out to pick string beans (another quart plus in the freezer) and zucchini (five biguns!) while I ventured out to pluck some onions. There are still more onions to come, but we've already got more than we had last year. Some of the onions I grew from shots are not producing large bulbs but are more like sets that I'll put aside in a cool spot and try to plant next spring. Some of those from sets, have grown to baseball size and look perfect for our winter needs. They are sitting out on the covered porch drying.

******

Just had to scare a young bear away from the yard. It looked like a two-year old whose momma may have chased away this summer when she decided it was time to get amorous again. Poor thing looked a bit confused. I just didn't want it getting any ideas of coming up on the porch to snack on onions. I've already passed on the blackberries up the hill this year so it's not like it doesn't have anywhere to find "wild" food.

It probably smelled the zucchini breads Terry was baking and decided to investigate that wonderfully cinnamon aroma.

******

I finally got a call from the physical therapist. I've an appointment for Friday afternoon to begin my rehab. I have to say that I'm getting better at walking around on flat surfaces like the first floor and the deck. It's going up and down stairs that continues to be a literal pain. And the short stroll I took in the yard yesterday produced more than enough warning that things are NOT as they should be. BOTH knees were complaining about that.

******

I've an Audubon meeting tonight over near the Muck and will try driving with the manual transmission on the Jeep. Then, Thursday, Terry and I will go up to the Bolt Hole to retrieve the truck, trailer and ATV. The truck is an auto so I should be able to handle that even if I have to ride the brake with my left foot.

******

Still awaiting a report from Joe as to the arrival of his grandson, little Joe III. He was due to make an appearance on the 15th. So far, we've heard nothing.

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

Finally: Blogger will so kindly permit me to leave a comment. I couldn't, when I tried twice earlier this morning.

Good luck with the rehab on the knees ... and with driving the clutch-mobile.