Thursday, November 01, 2007

Back to the Adirondacks

I'll be heading back up to the Bolt Hole in a few minutes. Have to transfer some of the "stuff" from the old truck into the new one and load up my clothes and hunting gear first. I also want to let the cold front that moved through early this morning to sweep a bit more to the east-northeast so it won't be raining all the way up to the cabin.

Of course being at the Bolt Hole means I'll be using dial-up service again and I'll miss any and all football games that are on ESPN or any other cable channel.

I'm going up to do two things.

First and foremost I want to see if I can connect with any buck that might be roaming the beech woods. That might be harder than expected. The last deer we saw was the one I shot with the bow. Not even a tail, rub or scrape has been visible since then. Part of the problem might be the warmer than usual weather but that can't account for the complete disappearance of all the deer. Pressure from other hunters hasn't been too great either. With the two hunters passing away while in the pursuit of deer on the last two opening days, the number of hunters in the area has decreased a tad as their buddies have steered clear of our rugged little corner of the Adirondack Park.

Secondly, I need to close up the cabin for the winter. Night time temperatures have been well below freezing the last week and are forecast to continue that trend--probably until May. Even though the daytime temps have been into the 40s and even low 50s, I'll need to start thinking about draining the water lines and winterizing the plumbing when I leave.

2 comments:

Erica said...

"First and foremost I want to see if I can connect with any buck that might be roaming the beech woods."

Just try not to do it while you're actually driving.

joated said...

Heaven forbid! The truck has less than 300 miles on it. I wouldn't want to smash up the new baby!