Saturday, November 17, 2007

Woodworking: Doors for the basement

I spent the last couple of days turning some left over pine flooring into doors for the workshop and utility room in the basement. The flooring is tongue and groove, 1-1/2 inches thick and about 5-inches wide. Enough was left over from the flooring of the upstairs bedroom and loft to construct three doors 80" tall. The doors are 36" wide for the workshop and two 24" wide for the utility room.

The doors are exactly like the one we built for the entrance to the attic off the loft.

Workshop door
The workshop door, 36" wide by 80" tall is ready to have the hardware installed.

2 doors for the utility room
Two 24" wide door panels are glued up and the braces have been screwed on the back side of the doors.

These doors are only slightly thicker than a paneled door I might have purchased at Lowes or Home Depot, but because they are solid--that is there is no recessed panel structure--they are pretty heavy.

While I was working at cutting these to length and riping a couple pieces to obtain the correct width, I ended up covered in sawdust. All I could think of was how clean Norm Abrahms shop always is and how there is never any sawdust on his flannel shirts.

I definitely need to get myself a shop apron and a really good vac/dust removal system.

No comments: