Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Obligatory Dead Deer Pic

As I mentioned yesterday, I finally found a white-tail buck careless enough to appear during the day here at the Bolt Hole.

4-pointer (lost one antler)

It's a 4-pointer although you can't tell from this picture. He ran smack dab into a six inch hemlock tree as he bolted after being shot. Pure adrenaline. The shot took him through the scapula of one foreleg and through the lungs. He dropped 40 yards from where he stood when the 130-grain .270 hit him.

The butchering of the deer was the most difficult part of the day. I take the sculptor's approach to butchering. I start with a whole deer and carve away everything that is not edible. Except for the filet and tenderloins--the two cuts even I can identify, I bone the rest of the muscles out and then decide if it looks like a roast, can be cut into a steak, or if it should be chunked up for stew meat or to be ground in to chop meat. When I'm done I've got 50-60 pounds of meat and no bones to occupy freezer space.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Personally, the whole idea of shooting cute animals, and then eating them, is somewhat revolting to me, but I'm glad it makes you happy, and you'll probably get some good eats out of it too.

I prefer trying to block out of my mind what my food looks like before I consume it, though I must confess, the idea of hanging with Catfish and hunting down his elusive albino gator does appeal to my inner, untamed Amazon Princess.

GUYK said...

Some years ago when I lived in Great Falls Montana I took a Mule Deer hind quarter to a place where they did a good smoke job on it..tasted like ham and was quite good. My kids liked a lot better than the roasts and steaks..

Brian Cole said...

Good work Uncle Rich! See you soon.