Saturday, November 03, 2007

No deer, but a nice day all the same.

Spent the morning still hunting (slow walking) the woods with my buddy Mark. We walked parallel trails about 3-400 yards from one another until I got to a prearranged point. I stopped and sat while he continued on to a cross trail. Then I walked to the same trail and we met one another. We didn't see any deer but we did locate several scrapes that were recently worked by the deer. That gave us a couple of optioins for this afternoon.

We both had some errands to run and agreed we would not wait for the other before heading back out in the afternoon. I got done first and went to sit on a ridge overlooking a couple of scrapes we found in the morning. When I got to the ridge I found several piles of recent deer droppings including some that felt/appeared to have been left this morning. Perhaps the deer was here when I walked by and slipped out when I went passed. It certainly had the high ground and wind advantage at that time.

Mark returned several hours later and went to a spot about 400 yards from where I was sitting. He spooked up a buck while walking in but it went in a direction opposite from where I was and, Mark thinks, then circled back behind Mark never to be seen again.

Neither of us saw another deer all afternoon. Tomorrow we play the same game again. This time I'll be keeping a careful eye on that skyline and hope to spot the deer before it can disappear.

No comments: