Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Back at the Aerie

As might be surmised by my willingness to post three pictures of the hawk, I arrived safely back at the Aerie this afternoon. Towing the trailer was a breeze and the Tundra performed marvelously. Although it did gulp the gasoline down like a drunk on a weekend bender! Just around 10 MPG with the "Tow/Haul" switch engaged, a truck bed full of wood and soil, and a 27' travel trailer in tow. At least the price of that gas is coming down. It was $4.07 at the Chittenango service area on the NYS Thruway and just $3.76 at the Gulf station at the intersection of Routes 14 & 6 in Troy, PA. A little over a month ago it would have been $4.30+ and $4.10.

Hauling the trailer up the hill to the Aerie was a hoot. I had to stop right at the driveway because a survey crew member was standing at the end of the driveway. (They're doing survey work for the wind towers they're supposed to be putting up on top of the ridge.) Once stopped, I spun my wheels a bit to pull a little further up the dirt road before I could back into the drive. I struggled with the backing up part a little. It would be easier with A- a smaller trailer, B- without an audience (survey crew), C- a straighter driveway (mine has a short dogleg at the end before it arcs gently into the clearing in front of the garage), and D- a road that didn't slope at an angle of between thirty and forty degrees.

Anyway, I managed to get the trailer backed in the driveway, wheel chocks in place, and unhooked from the Tundra without a major incident. Of course, it's not level since the driveway slopes just a wee bit, but I don't plan on sleeping in the trailer while it's in the driveway. I could have backed it up onto the grass where it would have been level, but I just planted that grass earlier this summer and it is growing too nicely to run over it with the trailer/truck combo any time soon.

Now, if only the papers from PennDot would get here so I can get the trailer inspected.

No comments: