Saturday, August 02, 2008

Sitemeter problems.

Feeling down and out this morning because you keep getting these messages while trying to visit your favorite sites?

Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://.com. Operation aborted.

Seems Sitemeter changed its code yesterday and it is not compatible with IE7. As a result, if you’re using a Windows machine and aren’t using Firefox or Safari, you’ll be seeing the above error message until Sitemeter gets its act together. Or until the person running the website you’re visiting either ditches Sitemeter or makes the switch away from the Javascript encoding to HTML or something.

(As far as I can tell--and I've tested my site using AOL, Firefox, and Safari on the Windows machine as well as AOL and Safari on the MAC--Compass Points is not affected. If this is untrue would someone please let me know.)

Lots of folks have been noticing and posting about this problem.
Hot Air
And Flopping Aces (Who points to a comment at Hot Air that would be the easiest work around I’ve seen so far.)

It’s still a good idea to have more than one browser available to you so go get Firefox now.

Apparently, if you have Sitemeter on the sidebar it's a problem. If it's at the bottom of your page, it's not. Mine is at the bottom of the page.

4 comments:

gregor said...

mine's at the bottom and I couldn't access my own blog this morning. I just imported all my links into FireFox, works like a charm.

joated said...

Interesting. I had problems on my Vista machine using AOL to access the Sad Old Goth this morning. Worked fine in FireFox, however. I didn't notice where the Sitemeter icon was located.

The key is it has to be out of tables and directly inside the body of the template.

JihadGene said...

Thanks for the tips/leads!

Rev. Paul said...

I use IE, and couldn't access Compass Points last night, nor GuyK's page, nor Theo Spark's, nor GOC's ... the list goes on and on.

Everything's working again this morning. I guess a wide-spread public outcry gets the 'fixers' moving.

I can only hope the public will maintain its selective indignation until November.