Tuesday, August 05, 2008

More chores

I feel like I've been working on a rock gang lately. I spent the morning (8:00 AM 'til 12:30 PM) hauling more rocks out of the woods and moving smaller rocks and limbs about to create a terraced effect in the woods themselves. I figure I've got enough rocks now to start building the retaining walls I want for raised beds. As always I have to take into account the power line ant he transformer that's atop one of the poles outside. The garden space has to be arranged so the power crew can get in here with a cherry picker if something happens to that garbage can up there.

The construction will begin tomorrow.

After lunch I went out and did battle with the blackberry canes again and came back bloodied but victorious. I had a quart of the suckers and now have enough in the freezer to make some blackberry jam.

3 comments:

GUYK said...

I would like to have a semi load of those rocks..they are scarce and expensive here in my part of Florida..hell, we don't even have sand stone...just some limestone quarries

Teresa said...

We have rock walls galore around here. Lucky for us they've been in place for years and we don't have to build 'em... well, we don't have to hire someone to build 'em. My husband has back issues and I would never let him do all that lifting... LOL.

joated said...

Guy, comwe on up and take all you want!

Teresa, There are a few places around here where those rock walls exist but the Aerie is on too steep a slope for the old time farmers to have bothered with clearing fields. I've had three back surgeries and have spinal stenosis (narrowing of the channels through which the nerves pass) so that if I twist the wrong way ant the nerves get inflamed they swell and pinch themselves and that causes them to swell and .... It hurts like hell! I guess it used to be called sciatica in the days before MRIs. If I do that it's a sure think I'll be in bed flat on my back for a couple of days. happened the first winter we were here and I tossed some heavy, wet snow just the wrong way one time too many.