Thursday, August 28, 2008

There and back again

It was a rather uneventful trip up to the Bolt Hole and back after I had the trailer inspected.

The Tundra handled the load with ease, although it did require twice as much fuel than it would coming back without the load. (10 mpg vs 19 mpg)

The trailer tracks very nicely and I only have to be sure of remembering to swing a little wide on the sharp turns of an intersection.

And backing up? Pshaw! A snap! The handling was extremely responsive and, with my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel so that when it went left the back of the trailer did too, I was able to back the trailer into the barn in one pass. And considering that requires backing from across the street, through the gate and then, perhaps to the left about 15-20 yards as I move across the lawn (which may be 30-35 yards wide at this point, I feel quite proud of my handling this task with only the aide of the truck's mirrors and a pair of belt-on mirror extensions. It seems the Tundra's standard mirrors are a bit wider than the Silverado's were. I can almost get by using them alone but the extensions make it even better and I can see the back corner of the trailer.

Having parked and unhitched the trailer by 4:30 PM I looked around the yard and realized the grass didn't need cutting so I decided to head back to the Aerie rather than sack out for the night. And that's what I did.

I stopped along the way to pick up my NY hunting/fishing license for the coming season and to do some window shopping. Having to drop $280 for a non-resident all-round sportsman's tag and a bear tag (despite having to pay some $3500 in county and school taxes) I decided to hold off on any purchases.

I got to listen to the Mets' game for much of the ride home. I always find it amazing that I can pick up WFAN as I drive through Cortland and Ithaca in the evening hours. I got back to the Aerie just as the Mets went ahead 6-3 in the 8th inning and quickly tuned in the game on the radio. (I usually "watch" the game on the Gameday play-by-play available on the Mets'' website.) For once the bullpen didn't blow it. Man, Delgado has been HOT!!!

Anyway, I'm glad I decided to drive back last night because this morning we were awakened by the sound of rain falling gently outside. As late as Monday, the forecast was that the remnants of Fay wouldn't reach here until late today but she arrived early. The rain isn't heavy by any means but that doesn't really matter. A light misting on a well used road can be almost as dangerous as a heavy downpour. The oils and grease from passing cars and trucks rises to the surface and makes them pretty slick. And once off the paved road...well, clay and water make for some very slippery mud. If I had stayed overnight, I would have had to contend with those conditions on the way home.

Speaking of the weather...the temperature is currently 57 degrees outside. On August 28. It is effing cold out for August. And this rain is coming from the south? I did my part yesterday folks. Nearly 500 miles in a 5.7L V-8 pickup and half of it was while towing a trailer!!! We're talking serious carbon foot print here. So where the hell is my global warming?!? I'm going to go get another cup of HOT coffee.

No comments: