Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Slow day at the Aerie

Been a slow day today. Terry and I met with a financial adviser today to finish up some paperwork that will take our 403b accounts and roll them over to a different--and hopefully--more responsive institution. In my case it consolidates two accounts into one and for Terry it gets her's away from the federal government program she was in and into one with real human beings to talk to.

Then she picked up her little Aveo at the garage. The one tire had picked up a nail somewhere and that was causing a slow air leak. As for the rattle she felt in the steering wheel...Ryan said they removed about 10 pounds of mud from each wheel and that seemed to do the trick.

I arranged to take the trailer in to get it inspected tomorrow morning at 10 AM and I'll then head directly up to the Bolt Hole to drop it off. (I am assuming it passes. I still don't know exactly what they inspect. NJ doesn't inspect trailers. And even in PA if it's less than 7000 lb gross weight, it can be inspected every 5 years instead of every year. My trailer weighs in at 7500 lbs. so it's got to go every year.)

Terry made another zucchini pie that was more a souffle than anything else. I liked this light and easy version. Even so, I have to wonder if eating one and sometimes two meals a day containing zucchini isn't my punishment for putting 8 plants in the ground.

Oh well. Terry leaves for Louisville this Friday and the zucchini plants will be on the compost heap by Saturday. The sad thing is, this is the best zucchini I have ever grown! The vine borers have left them alone because there is no vine (these are bush plants). The rabbits and deer have left them alone as have the raccoons, skunks, bears (if you forget the one that sat upon a plant--without damaging it!), and possums. These zucchini plants have thrived with little or no encouragement besides an occasional watering and one dose of manure tea very early on. I'll almost be sad to pull them up.

Well, the trailer is hitched up to the Tundra and all is in readiness for the morrow. I'll be heading to bed as soon as the Mets' game is over.


2 comments:

Shelley said...

I must grow zucchini next year - I am envious that you had an overflowing bounty!

joated said...

Just remember King Midas and be wary of that for which you wish!