Friday, September 25, 2009

All alone am I...except for 3 cats (again)

We woke up to 49 degrees at 6 AM this morning with lots of fog down in the valleys by the rivers and lakes. A breeze kicked up soon after sunrise, however, and the fog quickly dispersed. Still, it marely made it to 70 degrees this afternoon before dropping quickly back down to 65 within a half hour around 3 PM. The drop was a bit of a surprise since the wind actually died off and the sun was still shining brightly. A real pretty day.

Doug and Lou headed out for NJ soon after breakfast but before they did, I had to take them for a bit of a walk-about on the property. We did spot some deer tracks and I saw some raccoon scat but nothing else. We walked a little of the skidway beyond where I had been cutting firewood and I suddenly realized that there's an awful lot of tree tops still out there on the slope. I certainly get several cords of firewood from even the easily reached ones.

After they left, I took Terry's Jeep Compass down to the car wash to get the grime and clay off it from our driving around the construction sites at the top of the mountain. The clay actually matches the color of the vehicle pretty well but it was a matte finish as opposed to the shiny new luster one would expect from a car having only 1000 miles on it. She'll be travelling major highways out to Indianapolis and back to Pittsburgh so the Compass should stay clean for a little while. We packed it full of all the things she needed to take to the SAGA convention plus her suitcases for two weeks on the lam road. Then, after lunch, she hit the road for NJ, too.

So, here I am all alone doing the laundry, running the dishwasher, entertaining the cats and packing my overnight bag for when I head to NJ tomorrow morning to attend Jenifer and Matt's wedding. (I'll be coming back to the Aerie on Sunday after breakfast. The cats can entertain themselves for 30 hours or so.)



The above video is from when singers had to, you know, actually sing. Not prance around on the stage in swimsuits (or less) doing a dance that would normally require a pole to "entertain" the audience. I mean, I was okay with Elvis and Jerry Lee doing their thing...but they still could sing, man!

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

We managed to get up to 45 today, after 39 this morning. The clouds & rain have kept it from getting any colder.

You have the whole place to yourself, too. That's always good for about an hour, and then it's too quiet.

But sounds like it was a good day.