Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A day of culture

We had a pretty good day at the Corning Glass museum. Unfortunately, in many of the art exhibits, not only did they not permit flash photos, they prohibited ALL photography so I didn't take out the camera even in those areas where I could. I did, however snap this shot of an old Chevy pickip with two huge glass pumpkins in a bed of straw.

Glass pumpkins.

We sat in the Hot Glass Show and watch an artisan with 25+ years of experience take a couple of blobs of molten glass and turn them into a fluted candy dish in less than ten minutes and with virtually no effort at all. And unlike many of their demonstrations, this one went into the cooling oven at the end instead of being shattered.

While they had several new exhibits, I usually find the old ones to be the most interesting. I'm always seeing something new. But today, aside from the new art exhibits, there was a new (at least for me) display on fiber optics in the Innovation Center that I found fascinating.

After a good three hours in the Glass Museum, we headed down to the Rockwell Museum of Western Art. But first we stopped for some tex-mex in the cafe next door.

The Rockwell is a small museum compared to such places as the Fredrick Remington Art Museum in Ogdensburg, NY or the C. M. Russell Museum in Great Falls, Montana, but it is quite good.

In addition to pieces by both Remington and Russell, the Rockwell Museum has works by artists who predate those two and artists who followed in their footsteps.

Just a few of my favorites:

Prayer to the Spirit of the Buffalo by Joseph Henry Sharp(1859-1953)

Buffalo Mount

The Buffalo Hunt (My name as I forgot to write down
or snap a picture of the artist's card! Doh!)


Two Moose (Again, my name as I forgot...yada, yada, yada.)


Tommorrow we head west on Route 6 to visit Wellsboro, stop at the Pine Creek Gorge and Leonard Harris State Park, then into Potter County to visit the Pennsylvania Lumber Museum.

We'll end the day with dinner at The Log Cabin Inn.

4 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Thanks for the report - great pics of what you saw.

threecollie said...

Thanks, love the pics! Especially the pumpkins...just amazing!

JihadGene said...

Loved the glass pumpkins!!!

Unknown said...

Hi! So glad you visited the Rockwell Museum of Western Art! Isn't it a gem of a Museum?

I believe the Buffalo Hunt was done by William Robinson Leigh...

Check out more at www.rockwellmuseum.org