Monday, September 21, 2009

Good weekend.

A good weekend all around in the football world as far as I'm concerned.

First, my alma mater Rutgers defeated Florida International 23-15. Yeah, it should have been a bigger margin of victory, but 1) baby steps for an offense that is very, very young in the skill positions and 2) It was a "W" baby! and that's what counts.

Then Sunday afternoon the Jets over came some questionable calls (no way was that a fumble!) to down the New England Patriots 16-9. (Ditto my comments on the RU victory.)

And finally on Sunday night in Dallas, the Giants got a last second field goal to beat the Cowboys, 33-31.

RU is now 2-1, the Jets are 2-0, and the Giants are also 2-0. Sweet!

******

Terry and I went to dinner at the Penn Wells Hotel in Wellsboro yesterday. We could have had the Sunday Brunch but chose to order off the menu instead. I had a delicious crab casserole and Terry had a chicken Marsiella dish. Both came with a bowl of New England style clam chowder and a tossed salad. (They usually have a salad bar but that area was still set up for the brunch.) I had a mixed berry pie for desert while Terry skipped the apple pie, cherry pie, and about three different chocolate cakes that were also on the desert tray. The food was great, the atmosphere and service better, and the price was very, very reasonable.

******

I went and got a set of Cooper ATR tires installed on the Tundra this morning. I had ordered them before heading up to the Bolt Hole and, as promised, Ryan, had them waiting for me when I showed up. They aren't cheap, but the Cooper's have a great warranty plus there's a mail-in rebate of $75 which will cover the mounting, balancing, and sales tax.

******

We've been going around the house cleaning up because company is arriving tomorrow. Terry's sister (Lucille) and her husband (Doug) are coming in from Half Moon Bay, CA to attend the wedding of a cousin's daughter (Joe and Pat's daughter Jenifer) next Saturday and they've decided to come out to the Aerie for a look-see. It will be good to see them again as we usually don't get together too often. This past year was unusual in that we were out there for their daughter's (Laura) wedding in June of '08 and we all ended up at my son's (Rick) wedding in Eugene in May of '09 so, in a span of about 16 months, we've got to see each other three times. When they finally get out of California (they're trying, but with the housing market...) and back to Missouri/Kansas I will be sure to visit more often as Doug like to fish as much as I do.

No comments: