Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sorrow and loss.

I lost a cousin-in-law over the weekend. Gary Cofield of the Tampa, FL area passed away at age 68 from stomach and esophageal cancer. He was at home under hospice care with a morphine drip at the time of his death.

I hadn't seen Gary in years, nor have I visited the relatives in Florida in far too long a period of time. I'll always remember him as a soft spoken, gentle man with one hell of a collection of Native American arrow heads and spear points. As an electrical lineman for the power company, he was always on the lookout for freshly plowed farm fields where he might find something to add to his collection.

He was diagnosed with the Big C just a few short months ago when, unfortunately, it was too late for surgical intervention. Progression was swift and the pain was great at the end.

Due to a family event of a more positive nature (a wedding) in NJ this weekend, Terry and I will not be able to attend the memorial service to be held on Friday, but our thoughts and prayers will be with my cousin, Linda, upon the loss of her loving husband.

God speed, Gary.

3 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Gary. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Terry, and Linda.

threecollie said...

So sorry for your loss. Even when you don't see loved ones as often as you would like to, they still hold a place in your heart and mind that is so terribly empty when they leave you behind...prayers for you and yours.

JihadGene said...

Prayers for Linda and all who enjoyed life with Gary.