Monday, September 28, 2009

Cold, wet, and miserable...

...is no way to go through life, son. (To paraphrase from a favorite movie.)

I drove back to the Aerie in the dark and the rain of early, early Sunday morning. Not much fun but the roads were empty once I crossed the Delaware.

Getting back to the Aerie very early on Sunday I found the low had been 49 degrees. And it felt like it. It never did get above 60 degrees as the rain and drizzle continued all day. It was a good day to sit in front of the TV and watch football.

When I realized the inside of the Aerie was almost as cool as the outside (a mere 62 degrees on the thermostats mounted on the interior walls, 60 degrees on the counter thermometer), I almost decided to turn the heat on but passed on that and just checked to make sure all the windows were closed.

Overnight it continued to shower and the breeze picked up. The temperature did not drop all that much, however, and it was 53 when I got up this morning. It continues to rain (including a T-storm or two) and the wind has increased. Many of the early changing leaves are already being knocked from the trees but the bulk of the foliage hasn't even changed color yet.

The rain and the wind have made it feel raw. So I decided to do something about it and lit the fire in the fireplace. Two of the three cats approve. Julie is stretched out on the carpet directly in front of the hearth and Chester is on the couch right where the insert's blower directs the warm air. Can't say I blame him.
Julie luxuriates in front of the fireplace.

Shadow, who was very disappointed with my choice of turkey and liver as their canned meal today, is prowling around searching for Terry, a can opener, or the dry food bowl. And all the while she keeps giving me dirty looks.

2 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

You're running about 10 degrees warmer than here, but I recognize the desire for fire. Stay warm.

JihadGene said...

1 outta 3 cats pretty much suck.

Side note: If you can eat at ANY Chili's restaurant "today only"...100% of the profits go to St Jude Children's Research Hospital