Saturday, March 27, 2010

Bolt Hole report, March 27, 2010

A very chilly 11 degrees at the Bolt Hole this morning at 7 AM. The winds have abated, however, so what you see is what you get. And the sun, shining brightly with out a cloud to block its rays, will have things warmed up in no time...right? Well, weather.com says it will get near 40 today which is a huge improvement over the high of just 32 I had yesterday.

It's not much better down at the Aerie where Terry says it was 13 degrees this AM. The snow, which was only above 1800 feet is almost all gone. She''l see the high around 50 or so today.

The long range forecast calls for temperatures to warm ever so slightly and some rain/snow showers on Monday into Tuesday. Figures. Tuesday's the day I have to haul the trailer over to Amsterdam for service.

******

I've had the trailer's battery on charge for two days and it doesn't seem to want to take. Three years of storage have not been kind. If that's all that needs replacing I'll count myself lucky.

The inside has little to be cleaned up. Terry and I did a little when we had it down to the Aerie last September and there doesn't seem to have been any mouse infestation or other critters inside. Come to think of it, there aren't any signs of mice in the cabin either. Perhaps the presence of the fisher cat, red fox and others in the area have put a dent in the population of mice and red squirrels? Only sign of the red squirrels is the remains of pine cones in the woodshed and basement.

******

When I finish my (second) cup of coffee, I'll take a walk into the woods and see what sort of winter damage there may have been. Driving down the road I see lots of blowdowns and snapped trees I hadn't noticed when I was here last.


No comments: