Wednesday, July 23, 2008

About that rain...

It rained hard for about an hour and a half this morning and then there were light showers for another two hours or so. This evening (5:00 PM) when I went outside to pick a couple of 6-7 inch zucchini, the rain gauge held 1.41 inches of rain. I had emptied 0.3 inches from it yesterday afternoon so all of that rain fell this morning and early afternoon.

The weather.com folks say the average precip for the month of July is 3.30 inches. From my totals during the month to date I would say we will have that beat by a safe margin. (We've had two other days of more than 1 inch and several where we recorded 0.3-0.6 inches.) Also, several times storms with very heavy rains have skirted us and moved just to our north or to our south. Yesterday, for instance, while we did get 0.3 inches here, they had torrential rains just across Route 6 and the New York border.

At least I won't have to worry about the well running low.

1 comment:

gregor said...

It's been storming like heck to the west of us all day. We haven't had a good soaker here in weeks, ever since I put the new gutters on the house. My property is so hard I couldn't even jam one of those bamboo tiki torches into the lawn last weekend. I've been wondering if all the garden irrigation stuff I did earlier this year was worth it, but without it, all my borders would be burned to a crisp. It's been flashing and thundering like crazy for the past two hours and not a drop of rain has fallen, but thirty miles to the west is getting drenched. crazy