Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Waiting on the weather...

I woke this morning to lovely cool temperatures but a very overcast sky. Weather.com said there was an 80% chance of showers in the area so I thought I would hold off on going outdoors to start any lumber work until later this afternoon. No sense getting soaked if a shower caught me while I was cutting a tree or two.

I'm still waiting for that shower to arrive although it looks like it's just over the western horizon. I did take a short stroll about the area where Mark cleared a lot of small brush and I have to admit it really does look park like. I'll see about posting some pictures later.

Much of the small stuff I cut yesterday was of a shrubby nature. It looks like Labrador Tea. Just about chest high, it has a nice feathery, white flower in the spring but it really does choke everything else out. There are a few choke cherries and small fir trees growing in there too, but the moisture level at the roots is so high that there's tons of moss and mold that kills off or at least inhibits the growth of the apple trees and black cherries. In areas that have been cleared in the past this moss disappears to be replaced by a lush growth of grasses. That may mean more mowing in the future but, gosh darn it, it does look nicer and allows you to walk around without feeling like your in the depths of a jungle. And the apple trees like it better too. They're healthier and some have actually started to produce apples again.

Aspen or poplar has taken over some areas. They are prolific seeders of abandoned pastures and orchards around here. The young trees (less than 6" in diameter) are extremely weak. Ice or heavy snow will make them bend and arch over and they never return to an upright position once this happens. A few have bent over the trails and need to be cut out of the way. Some others are going to get dropped just because. (Because they have no value as firewood and because I really don't like them. They are weak and rot quickly once cut. I'd rather encourage the red maples, cherries and even a fir or two. At least the latter can be used at Christmas in years to come if given enough room now.) Poplars are quick growing and short lived. Their quick growth is one of the reasons they have such weak, wet wood. The biggest on the property is probably about 60-75 feet tall and has a diameter of about 1 1/2 feet at chest height. But it's top is already dying. It's only a matter of time before it'll come crashing down. There are others that are slightly smaller that are totally dead; their tops standing above the surrounding trees like so many naked fingers reaching for the sky. They stand in an out of the way location so I'm not touching them. At least the wood peckers and those that follow may find them useful for a few more years.

Still no rain. The accuweather maps show something just missed me to the northwest and the next large storm is way off to the west of Syracuse. Looks like I might have to go out and do some work after all.

UPDATE: Not five minutes after posting the above one rogue cloud that didn't get the message arrived to dump on the Bolt Hole. I'm glad I hadn't signed off yet and made my way outside. Should clear in a half hour and then it'll be time to work. Or maybe not. It's going to be awfully wet in the bush.

No comments: