Thursday, July 24, 2008

Rain and raspberries.

We had 0.15 inches of rain this morning in a two hour shower. Then it was cloudy and cool for most of the day. The temperature never got above 70 until the sun came out for an hour or so around 6 PM. The average high for this date is supposed to be around 82 degrees. We haven't seen that since last Sunday. There is a chance we will see 80 degrees tomorrow as there is no rain forecast and the sun is supposed to be out all day.

I went out to see how the raspberries were doing and came back with about a pint of red berries. Terry added some sugar to them and cooked them into a sauce for spooning on some vanilla ice cream.

I also got about dozen blackberries from one cane that was ripe. This cane sits over some flat rocks so perhaps the heat of the rocks pushed this bunch of big, luscious berries to ripen before the rest. When the rest absorb some of the recent rain and tomorrows sun we should be up to our tuchises in blackberries--provided Mr. Bruin doesn't beat me to them. I've already got plans for some blackberry jam and they always taste great with vanilla ice cream (doesn't everything?)or over breakfast cereal.

I forgot to mention that yesterday evening as I was getting ready to bring the bird feeders in for the night, I glanced out on the new patch of grass I planted and saw a doe and a buck (four points in velvet) standing there munching on the grass. They were quite calm about my being on the deck as I was around the corner of the house and the wind was blowing from them to me ad a pretty good clip. I was even able to walk over to Terry's window and let her know we had company. She went to the front window and watched. But the wind must have shifted or something because they suddenly spooked and went bounding off down the hill. Made be get off my butt and put out the two game cameras I have kept for around the Aerie. (Mark has three of mine up at the Bolt Hole where they are taking all kinds of pictures of bears--when they work.) If I get pictures of the deer or Mr. Bruin I'll post some of them here.

1 comment:

JDP said...

Hope to see some photos of your wildlife Joated.

JDP