Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sunday, August 29, 2010

The trailer is still parked over at Ives Run and I'm sleeping there every night. Meanwhile, Terry and the cats are staying at the Aerie. After 75 days (+ or -) of constantly being together, it's a little strange.

During the day we're at the Aerie (or out on bird walks) together...mostly. Terry's picked up with her girlfriends in the stitching clubs and has been out twice already at meetings. She's also reconnected with the ladies guild at the church (she's currently at a church picnic). I've had to move the trailer to a new site while going to get it inspected...alone. It's not difficult to do by myself--I've done it often enough--but after 75 days (+ or -) of having someone share the chores I find that I missed her assistance.

******

When I come back to the Aerie, it seems to be to do some work about the place. Mowing the lawn, weed-whacking the edges, draining and refilling the cistern, etc. It would be nice to be able to just sit back and have little or nothing to do but that ain't gonna happen any time soon. I've still got a pile of wood that needs splitting--just as soon as I get down to Joe's to get the splitter back. Then the trailer needs to go north to get the slide out motor replaced. That's next Thursday's job. I'll just drop it off at Alpin Haus and they'll call me when it's done. Which will require another trip north to move the trailer to the Bolt Hole.

******

When I take the trailer north on Thursday, I'll head up to the Bolt Hole for the holiday weekend. While there, I'll be doing some more firewood cutting and scouting about. Mark says there are few deer about the place and recommends we try to find a new place to hunt for a while. I'm leaning toward just forgetting about the NY season and concentrating my efforts on the PA Bow and rifle seasons.

******

I'll have to return to the Aerie Monday night (which means fighting traffic just a little) since the Tundra has an appointment for bright and early Tuesday (September 7th) morning. It needs some TLC after hauling the trailer around for 12K miles--plus up north to Amsterdam.

******

College football season starts this week. The Big East still lives and the eight schools in the conference should provide some exciting play this year. Everyone (with the possible exception of Syracuse and Louisville) should be competitive.

While Pittsburgh and West Virginia have some incredibly talented running backs in sophomore Dion Lewis and senior Noel Devine respectively, Rutgers sophomore QB Tom Savage and sophomore WR Mohamed Sanu should be able to light up the crowd. Coach Butch Jones will try to keep the fire alive at Cincinnati. And coaches Skip Holtz (1st year at South Florida) and Randy Edsall (UConn) will bring all they got to the table--and that's a lot of brain power! Hotlz is moving from East Carolina where the Pirates seemed to surprise an awful lot of folks on national TV. Every UConn loss last year seemed to be by 1 or 2 points. Edsall won't let that happen again. As for Louisville and Syracuse....can you say "rebuilding"...still. The Cardinals got embarrassed-often-last year. They may be able to use that this year--overconfident opponents, fired up players, etc. The Orange tried something different at QB last year using a former basketball player from a different university as their leader since they, frankly, didn't have any one ready to step in and had nothing to lose. It didn't work. Here's hoping they found someone as it's tough to play offense without a QB.

I've got to get my poll posts and match-up posts done but I'm not sure when I'll get them up. No wi-fi at the campground.


2 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Natural law #23: chores expand to fill the time available.

joated said...

Yeah, Ole #23 seems about right.

Of course the corallary to this is:
Given a very small task and a large amount of time to do it in, Murphy will appear post haste ensuring that mayhem will ensue and the number of secondary tasks that must be done to repair the damage created by doing the primary will expand to over flow the allocated time.