Monday, December 31, 2007

Snow--again.

We received 3 or 4 inches of light, powdery snow here at the Aerie last night. It was one of those very gentle snowfalls with virtually no wind blowing. Every horizontal surface this morning had a thin layer of white. Everything looks clean and bright in the noon sunlight.

As far as snow removal, I really hate those 3-5 inch snow falls. It's not enough snow to make using the thrower worthwhile. As a result, I have to pull out the shovel and do the entire driveway the old fashioned way. It took me about 2 hours to get the entire driveway finished. Without any wind and with the temperature right around 32 degrees, it wasn't bad. However, I had to be careful or the twisting and turning at the waist could have done a job on my back.

The forecast for tonight and early tomorrow is for another 2-3 inches.

Mark sent a link to a TV station's snow accumulation list for the area of the Bolt Hole. It indicates a fresh 8 inches fell there overnight. Mark arranged to have us cleaned out. Curiously, as you traveled further west and north of the Bolt Hole the amount of snow dropped dramatically. Old Forge and Boonville, places that normally get much more snow, only had 4 inches. I won't be able to get up there until after January 7. By then there's likely to be even more snow on the ground. But get up there I will. I've got to retrieve my snowshoes and/or cross country skies. Plus I left my flintlock rifle up there and I want to bring that south too.

No comments: