Thursday, February 21, 2008

Wow!

The clouds were swept from the sky just after sunset last evening and as a result the view of the Lunar Eclipse was grand!

We attended a meeting of the Tiadaghton Audubon Society last night in Wellsboro and got out just as the lower left corner of the Moon began to disappear into the penumbra. By the time we got home nearly half the Moon's disk was darkened. Shortly after 10 PM totality was achieved and I tried to take some pictures with my point-and-shoot digital. (No luck with the pix. Not enough magnification even with full digital zoom.)

The rusty red of the Moon lasted longer than we did. Old fuddy-duddy's that we are, we turned in at 10:30 only to be awakened by a super bright white Moon shining through the window around 3 AM.

The Moon was still shinning brightly when I got up at 6 AM to feed the cats and start the day.

Great eclipse!

2 comments:

Erica said...

It is truly a magical orb. I saw it too, and was thinking about you even, because I remember the comment you made about it being cloudy outside...there wasn't a cloud to be found. It was truly breathtaking.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Yeah, I fussed and cussed my telescope because the moon would peek in and out between the high clouds making it hard to draw a bead on it. And then, right at 10:00 it stared me in the face all dark and gloomy and bee-yoo-tee full! My scope is pretty decent,and it was my first viewing of a lunar eclipse through one. Just awesome!!