Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Applesauce!

Yesterday I picked up a half bushel of Cortland apples. They are great to eat on their own but they also can be used in cakes and pies and applesauce. I don't have any pictures of the apple cake that Terry made yesterday, we ate it.

I can provide you with pictures of the applesauce I made this evening. The most difficult--and boring part of the job is coring and cutting up the apples so as to cook them. I did a little at a time because of the limited number of pints (7) the canning pot can handle.




I put one cup of water in the pot for each quart of apple slices and then cooked them until nice and soft. You'll notice that the apples still have their skins. Once they were nice and soft, I used this food mill to process the soft apples the sauce comes out one side after being forced through a screen and the skins come out on another.



Leaving the skins on produces a nice pink color. I asked Terry to taste and add sugar if she saw fit before I warmed the sauce again and then put it in sterilized pint jars. The final product is some delicious applesauce. I completed 18 pints of applesauce.



And Julie spent some of the time in her little basket on top of the counter watching me work.

No comments: