Saturday, September 13, 2008

Weigh in Time

One of the perks of moving into the Bolt Hole is that I automatically lose 7 pounds. Not literally of course, that would require surgery. No, the loss is due to the difference in scales. The one up here is a morale boosting digital picked up in CVS. The scale at the Aerie is a stern taskmaster purchased from Weight Watchers. It matches the doctor’s scale quite accurately and even displays the tenths. Bastard!

Now, like all scales, there is a zeroing mechanism on the Bolt Hole scale and I could adjust it to read the same number as the Aerie scale but that would eliminate the feel good mind games. Just standing on that scale in the morning and seeing the “0” in the middle of the three digits is worth several people asking if I’ve lost weight. And anyone who has tried to lose weight knows how uplifting those kinds of questions can be. I will, therefore, leave it just as it is and do the arithmetic to add the 7 when it comes time to report to Excel and the world what my weight is.

Knowing the there was a difference, I weighed myself at the Aerie Friday morning and again at the Bolt Hole once I arrived to determine the difference so I could continue to gather semi –accurate data. That’s how I know the difference is 7 pounds, plus or minus a pound. This morning’s corrected reading is 214 pounds. That’s a loss of 3 pounds from last Sunday and reflects the work I did in moving soil about the new raised bed at the Aerie as well as a somewhat stricter adherence to my lower caloric intake (diet, if you will).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got a kick out of this post. I make my living as the Quality Manager in a metrology lab - that specializes in scales and weighing equipment. I've waged a lifetime "Battle of the Bulge", but I have the dubious advantage of always having a perfectly calibrated scale available whenever I need a kick in the pants.

Don't assume that your doctor's scale is accurate. There is no law that requires doctors to have their scales calibrated - ever. The more conscientious ones do, but even then only once a year or so. If the scale is located on carpet(as many doctor's scales are) you can deduct about 4-5 pounds from whatever it tells you.

Good luck!