Friday, September 26, 2008

More Food Canning

We got a real good deal on some plumb tomatoes at a local center today. Terry and I had been looking for someone who might be selling bushel baskets of tomatoes for canning purposes but we were having no luck until she happened to spy a small, not very reputable looking stand on old Route 15 south of Covington. She didn't stop but mentioned it to me and I thought I'd see what the guy had in stock.

Well, inside a shed with tarps as sides, he had a couple dozen boxes of plumb tomatoes but they had no price. I asked what he wanted for the 1/2-bushel box and he said $3.00 since it was getting late and there were some damaged tomatoes in each box. Well that sounded pretty good to me so I picked up two.

When I got home and started to rinse them off, I found there wasn't a bad tomato in the bunch. A few were bruised but that could be cut out. I suggested to Terry that she go back and pick up two more boxes when she went down for the church dinner. (I would stay home and start working on these.)

She came back with 2 and 1/2 boxes. The seller told her one of the boxes she picked out "looked a little low so here, take this half box too."

We've (by "We've" I mean mostly "I've") been boiling water and making tomato sauce like crazy. There's enough to make over 24 quarts easy. I won't finish all of it tonight (heck, I'll have to get some more quart jars out of the basement and wash them before I'm done), but I'll let you know how we make out tomorrow.



No comments: