Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Bolt Hole Blackout of 2008: Update

So...I'm sitting here looking at the posts I've put up this week and they're all about the weather and the Bolt Hole Blackout of 2008 with no mention of the college football results or the new, post-week 3 polls. I'll attempt to rectify that in the next two posts.

First, however, I have this: The Bolt Hole Blackout may well continue through the day. There was a problem with a transformer on the pole down the road where a large maple had pulled the wires down, jerking the transformer from its customary position of being bolted to the pole so it was resting atop the wires. You might say it was hanging on by a thread. When the National Grid crew checked it out before attempting to remount it to the pole they found it had suffered internal damage and needed to be replaced. (That may explain the five minutes of flickering light I had the other Monday. When they tested the conductivity of the transformer I got juice for those five minutes before they said, "Un-huh, Ain't gonna work. Shut 'er down.")

Unfortunately, word has it, that there were so many lines down and transformers damaged, there were none on hand locally for them to use. That and the transformer installation crews are running around like crazy. Perhaps they will have service restored by this evening. Then again, perhaps not. In either event, I'm glad I came back to PA.

No comments: