Monday, September 22, 2008

The Birds return

After several days of almost no bird activity around the Aerie, this morning saw plenty. I sat looking out the window and drinking my first cup of coffee when I noticed lots of little birds in the tree tops as the sun came over the mountain. I grabbed the binoculars and saw numerous Magnolia Warblers along with several Chipping Sparrows. Then I looked over at the feeders and there were Mourning Doves walking the ground, Blue Jays on the tray, Goldfinches on the stick feeder, a White-breasted Nuthatch climbing down the telephone pole as he snuck up on the feeders, a Downy Woodpecker on the tree while he waited for a Hairy Woodpecker to vacate the larger hanging feeder, Black-capped Chickadees flitting down for a sunflower seed then carrying it back into the trees to eat. I didn't see him, but a Tufted Titmouse called from the cover of the trees.

Later in the day Turkey Vultures, Red-tailed Hawks, Crows and Canada Geese flew over the hill.

This, the first full day of Autumn, turned out to be one of the busier days in the last two weeks.

One bird that has apparently taken off is the Ruby-throated Hummingbird. They were here last week but after several days over the weekend of fairly good winds from the north...pffft...they're gone. (Checking last year's reports, this date, September 22, was when the Hummers disappeared. I guess they have a pretty regular schedule.)

1 comment:

Shelley said...

What a great birding day you had! Once again, I'm envious - still slow at my feeders today.