Monday, December 05, 2005

Hmmm! Coffee! And It's Good for You Too!

The folks at the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and Social & Scientific Systems Inc. (jeez, could they have found a longer name?) have done a study that suggests the caffeine in coffee and tea may help slow damage to the liver in people who drink alcohol, are overweight or who have too much iron in their blood. I don’t drink alcoholic beverages that much (although I do enjoy a cold beer after cutting the grass during the summer or a scotch on the rocks on occasion or a bottle of wine with good friends over dinner. I am mildly overweight. And when I cut myself the other day, my blood was very, very dark red (excess iron?). But since I drink 4-6 cups of coffee every morning my liver should be okay.

No comments: