Thursday, December 27, 2007

Shopping trip

Terry and I took a long and mostly fruitless ride today. We left the Aerie to go to the Woolrich Company Store on the south side of Jersey Shore and then down to Hamburg, PA to visit Cabela's.

The trip to Woolrich was to see if they had any lined jeans for Terry. While they did indeed have fleece lined jeans (she was really looking for flannel) they only came in regular sizes and not in petites which Terry, at 4' 10-1/2", really needs. She bought a pair anyway with the intention of hemming them herself. I picked up two Henley shirts at 20% off to add to my wardrobe.

The trip from Jersey Shore to Hamburg was a real pain in the petootie. We took Route 15 south off I-80 and then Route 61 from Shamokin Dam. It was 61 that was the problem. Middle of the day and the traffic all along the way was horrible. You wind your way through several old coal mining towns with narrow streets and numerous stoplights. And then, when you do skirt a town, there are twice as many stoplights because of the many, many strip malls that have been erected. I think I got stopped by every single one of those stoplights. We eventually got to Cablea's but by then I had a raging headache.

It was Thursday, right, so where the frelk did all the people come from that were shopping at Cabela's?!? I have seen it this crowded only once before but never with so many little kids each and everyone of which seemed to have been given one of those little wooden rifles with a cork attached to a string that makes a really loud annoying "POP" when handled by a 4 to 8 year old. There were more people than I have seen in a month of Sundays and they didn't make my headache feel any better.

Worse, Cabela's did not have in stock the two items I drove down there to look for: arrows of the correct size and snowshoes suitable for my 220+ body. Nor did they have the insulated long johns I also hoped to find to replace the pair that has been mended several times. *sigh* I guess I'll be doing some catalog shopping tomorrow as soon as I located a catalog that has all the items I want and the numbers to match.

We did find a nice China King Buffet for lunch on Route 15 near Bucknell University and determined that we would never,ever again take Route 61 to go to Cabela's. Instead it's Route 15 to 322 to I-81 to I-78. It may be a little longer on the odometer but it's 20-30 minutes shorter on the chronometer. Of course, the internet and/or catalog may be an even better bet, but there are some things I prefer to actually look at and handle before I buy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell Terry for flannel-lined jeans, check out www.haband.com. They have a wide range of sizes, including petites (I know the feeling - I always have to hem too).