Sunday, December 02, 2007

Snowy, Cold Sunday

Four inches of fine, powdery snow on the ground about the Aerie this morning with the temperature around 18 degrees again. The wind is blowing much of the snow off the roof and deck and making it feel much, much colder. We are currently in a lull between storm systems with some freezing rain/snow forecast for this afternoon and throughout the night.

The birds were all upset that the snow had covered over the sunflower seed on the platform feeder I have on the deck. They showed up just before sunrise looking fro some food and it was buried. The little ledges where the birds perch on the hanging feeders also caught some of the snow last night and blocked access to the seed. I went out to clear them and refill the suet feeder for the woodpecker just as the wind started and got a face-full of cold snow from the roof for my effort. At least the juncos, chickadees, nuthatches, mourning doves, downy and hairy woodpeckers, and, yes, squirrels appreciate it.

Could be worse. I could be at the Bolt Hole were there's six inches on the ground and maybe a foot to come.

2 comments:

GUYK said...

maybe you need to watch the birds and follow them south for the winter...

joated said...

I missed the migration. The ones here now are winter residents. 'Sides, I really like snow. It's the wind that bites through me.